SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 20:27:45 -0800
We are using a 64 bit installation into 3D visualisation workstations,
but need full IA-32 library compatibility.  My understanding is that
there is no polymorphism between 32 bit and 64 bit applications by
default, but there is for libraries:
/usr/lib versus /usr/lib64 and the like.  However, when I attempt to set
both the x86-64 and the ia-32 repos via the "Add/Remove Software" GUI
(e.g., Scientific Linux 6x - i386 fpr the ia-32 portion), I only get a
list of the RPMs for x86-64 (both the platform and the SL environment)
but not ia-32.  How does one activate both to appear so that the library
packages for both will be put into the system via the GUI?

I have done this successfully in the past, but have seem to have
misplaced the syntactic instructions for how to do this.

Yasha Karant