SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2005

From:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 03:34:43 +0300
Vaibhav Vaidya wrote:

> Hi,
>
> changing over to ESD switched off my sound altogether... soundcard
> detection tool hung, I had to kill it. My default setting is ALSA, for
> input and output

What about the other subsustems?

As a note, in my system when I had enabled the "sound server" under GNOME
(Preferences::Sound), ALSA was not functioning properly, I switched to ESD and sound was
working again, but the "Sound Recorder" application was hanging.

So I disabled the "sound server" in Preferences::Sound, switched back to ALSA and
everything works OK.

If this doesn't fix your problem, may be it is a sound card driver thing, perhaps you may
check the manufacturer web site, they may provide a driver for linux.