SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2013

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 16:19:37 -0400
On Thursday 18 April 2013 1:45 pm, g wrote:
> greetings robert,
>
> welcome to 'the world of wonder'.
>
> wonder how to do it. wonder how to get help. :-)
>
> i do not use forums, i do follow support list, so i/we need some answers.
>

> On 04/18/2013 03:04 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
> <>
>
> > direction to get Scientific Linux v 6.4 installed and working.
>
> how did you install system?
>
> intel pc, mac, desktop, laptop, other?
>
> did you try you a live cd/dvd to see if all your hardware was recognized?
>
> >       The thread is posted on the Scientific Linux Forum under "New Linux
> > users questions." My name for the user is benjie1  I first posted on
> > April 8, and the title of the thread is "Can't login to gnome or kde in
> > SL 64." After the first post on the 8th, I received replies very
> > promptly until April 11. That was the last reply. I have posted several
> > times asking for help on the same problem and giving more output and
> > answering questions that were asked of me. Never did I double post, nor
> > use foul language, nor violate any of the rules, as far as I know.
> >       At this point, I am hoping that someone can guide me as to what I
> > should do so I can use SL 64. I have seen it on a friends PC and it
> >
> > The basic problem I have is that after a successful
> > install, there is no GUI where I can log in, and no keyboard or mouse.
>
> then it is not really a successful install. :-(
>
> > All I can do is use Ctl+Alt+F2 and get a command line and login as root.
>
> that shows keyboard _is_ recognized.
>
> what you did you do/try as root?
>
> *never* connect to internet as root.
>
> as a user, use 'su' if you have and then be very careful and aware of
> what is happening.
>
> what commands did you try?
>
> did you try startx?
>
> > The posts in the thread will show what I have done and then I can try
> > again if I receive some guidance.
>
> again, i do not use forums, nor do a lot of other post followers, so
> i/we are not aware.
>
> > What surprises me is why the sudden
> > stoppage of all replies. What did I do?
>
> another good question. see above.
>
> > If this email has violated any rules or caused any problems I
> > sincerely apologize. As I said, I have no way to know what to do in
> > order to get SL 6.4 working. This is all I hope to accomplish eventually.
> >       Thanks very much to all those who may be able to help.
> >
> > I will do my best to follow suggestions that are made and hope to get
> >
>  > this working.
>
> be sure to respond to _all_ suggestions.
>
> remember, vague is as vague does.
>
> perseverance.

As an old Unix guy.   I also never use Forums - a basic waste of time.
One piece of advice is to get a second disk if possible.
Get a set of install disks.
Load all of OS on 1 disk
Load /usr/local on 2nd disk
Set up home on 2nd disk.

Been using this scheme since 89 and it never let us down.
Get an account on "crashplan" for a free back up.  Works well in the
commercial world.
Once you get SL humming away - and you start shoveling all your work into it
the loss can be hard.

Install wants to add a new home directory - but do not format and you data is
preserved.   You have to fix logins but it easy.

This scheme has saved my bacon many time when an upgrade does not go well.  My
shop in pretty quiet and I got a power failure during an upgarde and starting
over was easy.

There are a lot of talented intelligent people who use SL - sometimes they are
short with you - so phrase you questions well and your cup may over flow with
help.

The advice to never get on the internet as "root" is good.   Set your up a
user account for your self in /home and it gives you a lot of protection.

Commercial User
Larry Linder