SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:30:23 -0500
Ken Teh wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Troy Dawson wrote:

>> Troy
>> p.s. we do have mediawiki in our atrpm's directory which is maintained
>> by Axel Thimm
>>

> I've seen the name "Axel Thimm" bantered around on this list, but I must
> confess I dont understand Axel's relationship or significance to SL.  Also,
> where is atrpm?
>
> Ken

Axel Thimm is the maintainer of atrpms.

http://atrpms.net/

ATrpms is a repository where he has recompiled various packages so that
they work with different versions of RedHat, or RedHat compatible releases.
These are packages that aren't normally found in the release, but are
useful or wanted.
We have integrated some of these packages into Scientific Linux.

You might also hear us talk of Dag Wiers or Dries (I forget Dries full
name), who also do the same thing, usually with differnt packages,
sometimes with the same packages.

We have a mirror of these various repositories (not a full mirror, just
what applies to scientific linux) and have put configuration files into
yum so that it is easy to access these repositories.

Please note that they are not supported by the scientific linux
developers.  They are only there for a convienience.  If you have
questions about the varous packages in them, you should contact the
appropriate maintainer.

More information about our various repositories can be found at

https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/faq/yum.apt.repo

Troy
p.s. Axel is often talked about more here because he actually listens to
the mailling list, so he often responds to questions about his
repository on this list.  Dag and Dries do not.
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468