SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2013 18:22:41 -0500
Close but thats not the whole truth.
Most of the functions of flash plus better 3D rendering can now be
achieved by HTML 5, so really flash is only being used now for legacy
web site support. Most mobile devices don't support flash but they all
support HTML 5. Adobe has even started changing their development
suites to output HTML5 instead of flash whenever possible. There is
really no point in developing new web apps in flash any more unless
the programmer hasn't learned HTML 5 yet.

My point is expect flash to disappear entirely at some point in the
next few years. Flash is now a lot of development work for Adobe and
won't make them money for much longer. Linux is their smallest market
for the flash player so it's the first to go but others wont be far
behind.