SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2005

From:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:58:39 -0700
Greetings.  One of the guys I work with has been getting a lot of grief
lately, trying to install and upgrade Scientific Linux (versions 3 and
4) on computers that include SATA drives and/or some kind of built-in
RAID capability.  I've appended a copy of his recent note to me,
requesting help.

I realize that this is a little vague, but I wonder if others in the SL
community have experienced any similar problems.  We've generally had
very little trouble with SL on older hardware.

Thanks.

					- Mike

I've successfully installed SL 3.0.3 on [the Professor's] new Dell
Optiplex GX 620. The installation works when I disable the SATA drives
by changing the SATA BIOS settings to accommodate the legacy hardware
such as PATA drives ("combination" mode).  I can install SL 3.0.3 which
does work with the vanilla kernel (2.4.20-21.EL, I think).  When I
update the kernel (kernel-2.4.21-32.0.1.EL), the system will get a
"kernel panic" upon the next reboot.  I believe this has a lot to do
with the SATA drives.

I've run mkinit to try and load the modules into a new initrd for the
new kernel--no success.

Installing SL 4.0 was troublesome, too.  I was unable to install SL 4.0
in graphical mode, so I switched to text mode.  I was able to install
SL 4.0 using the text mode, but once the system finished the
installation and rebooted, it would crash when starting in graphical
mode (inittab = 5).  I didn't proceed any further after it crashed.

The problem with updated kernels and SATA drives exists in at least one
other system.  I can think of only one system: [a researcher's] new Dell
Precision 370.  [The researcher's] system will be reinstalled this week
(to remove the RAID setup).  The system boots normally with the original
kernel(2.4.20-21.EL), but it will generate a kernel panic with the
updated kernels.

--
Michael Hannon            mailto:[log in to unmask]
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966