SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2011 12:56:24 -0800
Rather than hijacking the thread on vlc, I am posing this as a new set
of questions.

My understanding of the EL upgrade process, when moving from EL N to EL
N+1 (e.g. EL 5.7 to EL 6.1), there are only two ways to protect the
information on the hard drives that have "systems" directories (e.g., /
, /boot , /usr , ... ).

1.  Make backups of everything and restore after the EL N+1 installer
runs, hopefully forgetting nothing of importance.

2.  Keep /home , /opt , /usr/local , and all other non-distribution
given applications, configurations, and data, on separate partitions
that are not touched during the EL N+1 installation process by using a
manual override selection during the EL N+1 installation process.

2.1  If these are not real partitions but are handled via the Linux LVM
method, will these be respected or will these be overwritten?

2.2  Is there any mechanism to force the EL N+1 installer to ignore
certain directory trees that are not real partitions (e.g., do not touch
/usr/local if /usr/local actually is on the same partition as /usr --
given that /usr in general must be overwritten to install EL N+1)?

As an aside, when I do this, I keep many things from the EL N
installation, including many configuration files in /etc so that these
can be quickly reinstalled.  I personally accomplish this by copying
these to a subdirectory of a directory for a mount point for a
filesystem that will not be touched (e.g., /home/prevsys/etc with /home
on, say, /dev/sda10), using cp -pr to save the required permissions.

These days, I make certain that each physical partition that will be
reformatted/overwritten by the EL N+1 installer is large enough to
accommodate the typical growth (bloat?) of the new major release.

Yasha Karant