SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2005

From:
Kuo Kan LIANG <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 16:35:15 +0800
Hi, Yannick and all,

I finally found the problem.  The rshd is two-sided, so I have to start
rshd on the server, too. OK, this time I have to be very careful about
security problem. I have to set hosts.allow, deny, and equiv carefully.

But here comes a second problem.  I am not using kerberos for rsh.
However, the system invoke krb5 by default, and when login,
the /etc/profile.d/krb5.(c)sh will be invoked automatically,
and as a consequence /usr/kerberos/bin and /usr/kerberos/sbin will be
in front of other directories in PATH.
Thus, when invoking rsh, the /usr/kerberos/bin/rsh will be tried first.
But this connection will be refused. Then krb4 rsh will be tried, and
this will be refused, too. Finally, it will try normal rsh in /usr/bin/rsh,
and this one works.
Although rsh will work anyway, I wonder, if the clustering software
(I am using MPICH-Score) invokes rsh by itself very often, will there be
big influence on the speed of execution?
Of course I can modify the /etc/profile file or other files to change the
path order, but is there a more general/formal solution to this problem?

Thanks for information in advance.

Best regards,
Kuo Kan LIANG
Division of Mechanics,