SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2013

Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2013 11:14:32 +0900
On 04/29/2013 09:58 PM, W K Daniel PUN wrote:
> I do not have network problem.  Once I log in after booting up, I can
> have the wireless wifi connection with CQURoam or cherub7, and they are
> not out of range.  I am wondering why the system could not detect the
> wireless device during the booting and gave a FAILED message. Is there
> any settings that can be changed in order to avoid this detection
> (because it fails anyway) or get it right?

It is set to "connect automatically", which means that ONBOOT="yes" is
set in its config file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-[device].
To prevent a connection attempt on boot you would change that to "no" in
the config file or uncheck "connect automatically" under "edit
connections" from the desktop network manager widget.

If you do this you will need to manually select a wireless network to
connect to after you log in -- not really a big deal, but this appears
to be another Network Manager wart which prevents the boot time from
being dependent on wireless negotiation (which can take a while
sometimes). In any case, things seem to be "working as intended".