SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
DMITRY HITS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DMITRY HITS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:16:46 -0500
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Dmitry Hits wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking to add 3D graphic capability to my laptop and from CMSnote I
>> 2002/041 I have found out that I need XFree86. And though I find lots of
>> files on my computer that have *XFree86* in the names, I don't think I ha
>> ve
>> XFree86 itself.
>> From XFree86.org I have found that the version 4.6.0 is available, but I
>> would rather deal with yum than with the source. So I am wondering if
>> somebody knows of an rpm compiled for our SL4.4.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Dmitry.
>
> Hi Dmitry
> The short answer is, no I don't know of one.
> The longer answer is, are you really really sure there isn't a better way to
> get 3D graphics on your laptop.  We are using xorg-x11 instead of XFree86.

I think xorg-x11 will work, I checked out their website but I am not sure
if the i810 driver in the X11R7.1 has a support for the Intel 845gm chip.
The release news said that I have to look through their changelog. BTW,
how do I check which version of X11 I have?

  Although xorg is actually a fork of XFree86, so many things are the same,
> they are different, and changing the underlying graphics might break a thing
> or two.
> If I read that right, you are reading instructions written in 2002.  I'd  try
> looking for some newer instructions.

That was the reference on the IGUANA page. Can somebody in this news group
share their experience with the 3D graphic? Especially with the intell
845gm chip. I did look in the archives but did not find much.

cheers,

Dmitry.