SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2011 12:14:00 -0400
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Matej HALAC <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 10:41 -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Matej HALAC <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> > Also host servers get this message in the logs:
>> >        kernel: kvm: 2323: cpu0 unimplemented perfctr wrmsr: 0xc1 data 0xabcd
>> >
>> > I myself have a ML150 G6 with Intel Xeon E5504 that runs SL6 and libvirt
>> > with a Windows server without a hitch.
>> >
>> > Any advice is appreciated since I tried looking for the solution and
>> > nothing helped me.
>>
>> You get this on both servers? If you can spare the time, test one of
>> the other virtualization technologies.
>
> Yes these messages are present on both machines and also the Windows
> image crashes on both as well. The specific machine worked without
> problems on my ML150 so I doubt it's a problem with the Guest image.

I'm afraid this is a level of problem where buying a server license
from our favorite upstream vendor would help get you access to the
technical support of the people who are actually writing it. And I'm
afraid I'm not personally very happy with KVM based virtualization. If
the GUI is that bad, it makes me concerned about the quality of the
rest of the backend.