SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2008

From:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 04:34:08 -0700
Dear all,
I got a wireless link to the Trendnet * Wireless Router to link
up to another machine, as described below. However, I have one
serious difficulty in using DHCP and will start a different
thread for that.

A) To initialise router:
- I used an RJ45 cable to link my laptop to the router. The
router has an initial IP address: 192.168.1.1.
- I change my my laptop's IP address to 192.168.1.3 and its mask
to 255.255.255.0. This is so that both devices are in the same
LAN (as identified by their address)
- From the firefox browser, I open the webpage
http://192.168.1.1, and followed the on-screen instructions to
configure the router. As my preferred LAN is 192.168.0.*, I
changed the router address to 192.168.0.1. (I consequently lost
the connection and had to open the webpage http://192.168.0.1.)
- After some trial and error, I discovered that in order to use
WEP security,  I have to set the router to "open", for the
network (encryption) key to work. DHCP IP addresses issued by
the *router* and fixed IP addresses worked.

B) To initialise wireless connection:
- my laptop has the ipw3945 driver and so I had to activate the
ipw3945d service (daemon) so as to have the eth1 port for
wireless connection. The eth0 is configured for the RJ45 socket
(LAN). However, system-config-network displays only eth0 for
activation, but not eth1. (eth1 is displayed under the hardware
configuration tab, where IRQ etc are set; but I do not need to
do that.)

- using iwconfig, I configure the wireless link, like so:
	# /sbin/iwconfig eth1 essid "doit1wlan" channel 6 rate auto
txpower auto
	# /sbin/iwconfig eth1 key open s:xxxxx
where xxxx is a 5-letter key. I have to use a fixed IP address,
and not DHCP, otherwise, no access to eth1.
- using ifconfig, I activate eth1 to the fixed address
192.168.110 (and default mask 255.255.255.0):
	# /sbin/ifconfig eth1 up 192.168.110
- I then restart the network service for everything to work.

C) Deactivated cards: I seem to have to activate the card I need
and then reactivate the network services (Network Manger service
is not started on my machine). The problem seems to have "gone
away". I will not look at it further unless it resurfaces.

D) Other comments.
I think the main difficulty I encountered, beyond lack of
practical knowledge, arose partly from the fact that I had a
solution forced on me (ie, a router initially obtained for other
purposes) whereas the linux box already had one and just treated
(rightly) the equipment as any other device.
My thanks to all for the assistance; the HOWTO documents were
helpful.