SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 22:01:19 +0530
On 6/4/07, Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  Parted (1.8.6 for e.g) has no problems. This looks like a bug
> > with Anaconda. Any workarounds ? (Basically the python script using
> > the parted library must be avoided )
>
> Can you please give more information.  How are the disks partitioned now?
> What error messages does it give?

I get the error message after selecting the packages, i.e. just before
the actual install of packages to hard disk in the usual GUI install
with no options. The IDE disks have dos partition tables (3 primaries
each + extended and logicals within that, it is all ext3 except for a
single BSD primary (hdb2)). I formatted the partitions for /
beforehand with ext3 with latest parted. So during install I just had
to select the mount point.  The error message is
"cannot inform the kernel of changes to the /dev/hdb5 without
rebooting" (first logical of the extended partition of hdb). I could
not save the dump to fd0, but the error is due to the old parted
library used in the installer (?). I have installed other Linux
distros (Edubuntu) in the same setup without any problem. Somewhat
similar problems with Anaconda (up to fc5) are known (
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnacondaCommonBugs).

Thanks

A. Mani
Member, Cal. Math. Soc