SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:44:14 -0500
Hello,
In order to save space on the main distribution servers, and for the
various mirrors, we are going to be hardlinking the same rpm's in
various area's where it makes sense.

We are going to start in the obsolete area's, doing sections at a time,
and then move our way over to the main errata area's.  We do have
backup's of everything, so if something wrong happens, we can revert.
We are also making sure that filenames, md5sum's, and even file date
stamps are the same before hardlinking.  This should ensure that yum
doesn't get confused.

Today we will start small with some of the obsolete errata
scientific/obsolete/30rolling/i386/errata/SL/RPMS
scientific/obsolete/30rolling/x86_64/errata/SL/RPMS
scientific/obsolete/308/i386/errata/SL/RPMS
scientific/obsolete/308/x86_64/errata/SL/RPMS
scientific/obsolete/307/i386/errata/SL/RPMS
scientific/obsolete/307/x86_64/errata/SL/RPMS

We also plan on changing our scripts for errata so that as errata comes
out, if it is the same for several releases, they will all be hard
linked from the beginning.
This will save bandwidth and space for those mirrors that are using the
rsync -H flag.

Thank You
Troy Dawson
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group