SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2008

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:16:22 +0100
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Marco DELMASTRO wrote:

> Hello...
>
>>  For example, the Flash plugin isn't working on a 64 bits system.
>
> Mmmm, no sure about this. I'm running 64 bits SLC 4.x on a AMD64 machine, and
> Flash plugin (32 bit version) works fine in Firefox 2. Oh, wellm audio is
> still missing, but that's a Firefox problem...

I've not actually tested this on a 64-bit box yet but at one point the
flash plugins that Adobe provided needed an extra library adding to get
sound (and a few other things) to work.

See for example:
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flash_Player:Additional_Interface_Support_for_Linux

and that points at http://www.kaourantin.net/flashplayer/flashsupport.c

we need to make a trivial edit to that to build it here but it certainly
works for us on SL3 (and we put it in place for SL5 too and does no harm).

I've no idea if this is still really needed in newer Linux setups or if
(for example) the flash rpms already provide it...

BTW on our x86_64 machines we have currently decided to stick with the
32-bit firefox for now so we can get plugins like flash etc (and some
extentions!) to work.  We have to still install the 64-bit firefox because
other stuff we want depends on it (e.g. yelp and system-config-keyboard!).
Since the provided /usr/bin/firefox prefers the version in /usr/lib64/...
we have to cheat to prevent it picking that version.

Apparently there will be new magic soon (planned for TUV's EL 5 update 2)
to wrap all the plugins (on both 32bit and 64bit) systems so a 64bit
firefox will then be able to use 32bit plugins - and also the browser will
be protected from plugin crashes!  I'm looking forward to that!

  -- Jon