SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:51:15 -0700

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 11:14:00PM -0700, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:
> IMNSHO, this is not a software problem, at least not at the OS level.

Software doesn't have problems, and hardware doesn't have problems.
People have problems when they are disappointed by unexpected
behavior,  and the solution to those problems can be improvements of
hardware or of software, or improvments of technique.  Technique is
the easiest solution, software is harder, and only a few people like
me are capable of redesigning the chips!

That is why publishing an easy solution ( replacing the .xsane
config directory ) to the problem (xsane plus hardware locking up
hard), is the Right Thing To Do.  We hope that other users, assisted
by Google, will have an easier time solving it.  I prefer to publish
solutions proactively when I find and solve a problem, because this
maximizes the information flow for other users.  Another preference
is for accurate subject lines as discussions stray from the original
subject.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993