SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2011 21:06:05 -0700
On 2011/10/06 17:22, Yasha Karant wrote:
> On 10/06/2011 04:37 PM, Dag Wieers wrote:

>>> I realise that except for the Fermilab/CERN staff persons, almost all
>>> of the rest of those maintaining material for SL are unpaid
>>> volunteers. With that stated, what is the
>>> typical/average/median/whatever delay from the Adobe release until the
>>> SL compatible port for the flash plugin?
>>>
>>> In some cases, Adobe adds functionality -- but in most cases it is a
>>> matter of bug and security-hole fixes -- and the sooner one installs a
>>> valid security fix, the better.
>>
>> Do you have proof that this is a security fix. Because I track the RHEL
>> packages and no such update has come through their channels. It seems as
>> if the release was simply their official Flash Player 11 release, rather
>> than a security fix.
>>
>> If it is a security fix, even Red Hat is behind. Somehow I don't believe
>> that, but for you to provide proof of what you state. Thanks.
>>

> I use the direct Mozilla (and OpenOffice) distributions and updates. For Firefox
> 7.x (that the Firefox update on Help --> About Firefox reports as up to date), I
> ran an update check on the addons, including plugins using Tools --> Add ons and
> URL https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/ and the following was displayed:
>
> Vulnerable plugins:
> Plugin Icon
> Shockwave Flash
> Shockwave Flash 11.0 r1 Vulnerable (more info)
>
> (11.0.1.129 is what actually is installed)
>
> Thus, although I have been unable to find the vulnerability list (for some
> reason, more info does not give the details but just does nothing), Mozilla
> identifies this plugin as "vulnerable", presumably a security issue.
>
> As a test, I will reload the plugin just in case there is a problem with the
> Mozilla identification and the "vulnerable" warning goes away.
>
> Just did that:
>
> Shockwave Flash
> Shockwave Flash 11.0 r1 11.0.1.0 is now "up to date"
>
> and the actual package was:
>
> flash-plugin-11.0.1.152-release.i386.rpm from macromedia.com
>
> As a test, I restarted Firefox and went to
> http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ that responded that the current Flash
> plugin is functioning ("You have version 11,0,1,152 installed" was displayed).
> Note that I am running IA-32 Firefox on SL 6.1 X86-64, with all necessary
> compatibility (IA-32) libraries installed in a different path than the X86-64
> libraries.
>
> (As to the other respondent, I have read and am familiar with TUV policy in
> https://access.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting/ . I do not necessarily
> agree with this policy.)
>
> Yasha Karant

The downside of that direct approach is that the world gets messy when you want
to move to 7 someday. The direct applications of FireFox and Flash might cause
some form of update conflict you'd get to resolve.

Thanks to the person who mentioned the adobe x86_64 repo. I simply copied the
.i386 file and judiciously renamed a couple lines in the new file. Works fine.
I didn't find one when I looked for it.

{^_-}   Joanne