SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2007

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:21:53 +1000
Hi Michael,

> Hi, folks.  We're finally getting around to trying out the Xen
> hypervisor on an SL 5 (x86_64) system here.
>
> I thought it would make sense to start with the simplest
> configuration -- just put the whole virtual machine into a single file.
>
> We ran virt-manager and added a virtual machine, evidently successfully.
> Here are the details of the file:
>
>     # pwd
>     /virt
>
>     # ls -lh
>     total 4.0G
>     -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4.0G Oct 24 17:17 ptestv1-f7.img
>
>     # file ptestv1-f7.img
>     ptestv1-f7.img: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x83, active, starthead
>     1, startsector 63, 6120702 sectors; partition 2: ID=0x82,
>  starthead 0,    startsector 6120765, 2040255 sectors, code offset 0x48
>
> We installed Fedora 7 on the virtual machine, i.e., during the
> initial process of adding the new machine.  (We used Fedora 7 just
> because we happened to have the distro on-line locally.  At this
> point the whole process is nothing more than an exercise.)
>
> We got through the Fedora installation without any evident problems,
> but when we hit the "Reboot" button at the end of the installation,
>  that was the last we saw of the virtual machine.
>
> Now, when we open virt-manager and connect to "Local Xen host", we
> see only Domain-0.  If we go to the File menu, select "Restore saved
> machine", and then specify the image indicated above (ptestv1-f7.img)
> , we get an error message from virt-manager:
>
>     Error restoring domain '/virt/ptestv1-f7.img'. Is
>     the domain already running?
>
> In the terminal window from which we started virt-manager, we get the
> following, additional error message:
>
>     # libvir: Xen Daemon error : POST operation failed: (xend.err
>       'Restore failed')
>       libvir: error : library call virDomainRestore failed, possibly
>       not supported
>
> The system is fully patched, including the latest xen kernel (as of
> yesterday, 2007-10-24), and has been rebooted.
>
> Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong here, and/or tell me a
> better approach?  Thanks.

As you've discovered, the GUI tools provided by TUV are pretty basic. You
create the VM and then?

You need to learn how to use the tools provided by Xen, so read up on "xm"
through the man pages.

A command like this will get your vm booting and will also show up in the
virt-manager that TUV provides:

# xm create -c <vmname>

Regards,

Michael.