SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Nicolas Kovacs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2011 22:29:21 +0200
Le 19/04/2011 07:20, Todd And Margo Chester a écrit :
> I really do not feel like the *aggravation* of having
> to maintain any more Windows installations: low quality
> software that almost works and has to be fussed with
> 20 times more than a Linux installation.  And customer
> who are never really very happy with the way things
> turn out, or the expense.

I'm running a small business specialized in 100% GNU/Linux and FOSS
systems, aimed at professional users, e. g. folks who use a PC as a tool
to get work done. So far, my clients are small town halls, public
libraries, a private school. My networks are mainly CentOS on servers,
and a personal mix of CentOS and Fedora on desktops. Right now, it looks
like I'll use the SL6/minimal-GNOME combination as a base for the new
desktops.

I think a significant number of my clients don't even know they're using
Linux. My only contact with Windows is when I have to retrieve data from
a rotten install before replacing it with a crisp and clean Linux
install. Sometimes, I integrate the odd Windows XP client in a mixed
network, but more often than not, I just tell my clients that I don't do
Windows, and I (politely) advise them to see someone else. So far, only
one client wanted to migrate back, and it was the sort of client I was
glad to be rid of anyway.

Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Niki Kovacs
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat