SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2011 08:52:04 -0500
On 08/03/2011 06:19 PM, Advrk Aplmrkt wrote:
> On 3 August 2011 16:38, Andrew Z<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>> Advrk Aplmrkt<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>>> I managed to boot into the text installer (still can't get GUI because
>>> of this: http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?showtopic=453) for
>>> SL 6.1, and went through every step till I specify "use entire disk"
>>> during install and start the installation process.
>>>
>>> At this point, I would see messages saying the installer is
>>> partitioning the hard disk, copying files, etc., then always the same
>>> error:
>>>
>>> "An error occurred mounting device /dev/sdb1 as /boot/efi: mount
>>> failed: (9, None). This is a fatal error and the install cannot
>>> continue."
>>>
>>> Here is a screen shot via my phone:
>>>
>>> http://www.imagebam.com/image/0bd326143256204][IMG]http://thumbnails39.imagebam.com/14326/0bd326143256204.jpg
>>>
>>> I have tried to boot via USB the LiveCD, LiveMiniCD, and LiveDVD
>>> images, same result.
>>>
>>> Note: /dev/sda is my hard disk, and my USB drive is apparently mounted
>>> in /dev/sdb
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what this means and how I can resolve the issue?
>>> Thanks so much.
>>
>> Check what your log has. From memory its on the third or 4th console.
>
> I have uploaded screen captures of both 4th and 5th consoles:
>
> 4th console:
>
> http://www.imagebam.com/image/31f323143427738
>
> 5th console:
>
> http://www.imagebam.com/image/40b4fa143427758
>
> Looks like from the 4th console it says:
>
> "set SELinux context for mountpoint /boot/efi to system_u:object_r:boot_t:s0"
>
> Followed by the error:
>
> "FSError: mount failed: (9, None)"
>
> Does this information help diagnose the problem? I really hope to be
> able to install SL 6.1. Thanks.

Hi,
I just did a graphical USB based install, and saw something that might
shed some light on this.

Background.
This machine is a new Dell.  It has the ability to do EFI booting.  I
had the bios set to do normal booting, but it has the ability to do it.
There is only one disk on the machine, but since I booted up with a USB
drive, the USB drive showed up as /dev/sdb
On the screen that said "Use these drives" I only selected the regular
hard drive.
I chose "Custom Partitioning"

On the Partitioning screen, it had my USB stick Dos partition already
marked as /boot/EFI
I didn't do that.
I was able to edit it, so that that partition wasn't set to be mounted
at all, partition the regular disk the way I wanted, and everything
progressed just fine.

Is there any way you can do the install graphically?
I looked at the forum posting, and that is an install from a SL 6.0 Live
CD.  It doesn't give any real details about the hardware.
If you are only doing an install ... why are you choosing the Live CD.
The Live CD has alot of uses, but the installer of the regular install
DVD's are tested much more.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group