SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 23:54:48 -0400
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Phong Nguyen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> Hi Chris,
>>>
>>> What CAD software are you running on Linux.  Targeting
>>> business that run that CAD may prove fruitful!
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>>
>> I never tried any, although I heard good things about pro/engineer - http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-elements-pro/ which runs natively on linux.
>>
> The big CAD vendors have given up on Linux (including Pro/E). There are some open-source tools like BRL-CAD but I'm not aware of any really extensive use of them.
>
> - Phong

Oh? I found that for circuit design and schematic capture, the problem
wasn't lack of tools: it was poverty of device models already *in* the
tools for Linux. I probably contributed.... 200 component
specifications to various CAD devices, just so they'd be in the basic
libraries and I wouldn't have to redo them with the next release. And
admittedly, the Windows ones had better libraries. But the Linux and
UNIX ones were more stable, easier to erase stupidities like single
points with wires connected to themselves only, and other
foollishness.