SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2015

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:12:51 -0500
On 01/27/2015 10:50 AM, Karel Lang AFD wrote:
> Hi,
> i, for one, would approach any laptop using Nvidia Optimus technology
> with caution, particularly if i want to run Linux on it.
>
> I googled your laptop config and it comes with 'Intel® Core™ i7-4900MQ
> Processor' meaning Intel® HD Graphics 4600 built in.

Ok, I'm looking at Dell's 'For Work' laptop site right now, and the
M4800 is available with either AMD Firepro M5100 graphics or Nvidia
Quadro graphics (two different cards are available).  The AMD Firepro
card is the default option.  Ordering without the extra discrete
graphics is not supported.

I'm using the stock EL7 Radeon drivers (NOT the AMD/ATI Catalyst fglrx
drivers) on my M6500 on a Firepro M7820 card, and the thing works very
well.  While docked it's nice to have triple monitor support through the
dual displayports on the dock; the displayport on the laptop itself
works very well also, with dynamic desktop configuration when you plug
it in and plug in a projector or whatnot.  Better support than most
Windows 7 machines I've seen.

If you order the M4800 with RHEL 6.4 and a one year subscription, it
only adds $76.30 to the price; 3 years will cost you $335 (and while it
says '6.4' you get the updates to get you up to 6.6 with the
subscription, of course).  With an RHN subscription you should be able
to install RHEL 7 on that box and enjoy the subscription.  Yes, Dell
offers RHEL 6 preloaded on the M4800.  Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is also offered
as a preloaded option.  See attached screenshot.....assuming the list
allows it.....

Dell further supplies fully supported drivers for the graphics, both
nvidia and AMD/ATI, for RHEL 6 (not yet RHEL 7, sorry).  Go to Dell's
support site, and navigate to the Laptops/Precision Mobile Workstations
and go to Drivers and Downloads.  If you'd like a screenshot..... let me
know.