SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:28:37 -0600
Hello Petros,

Thank you for the report.  We don't have as much x86_64, so all the
reports on those are appreciated.

Petros Zimourtopoulos wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am not quite sure if I could post it here
> but I have a hardware error report for
> SL 304 RC2 x86_64 020105
> on M/B: Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro with GPU : nVIDIA GeForce MX 4000 - 128 MB:
>
> 1
> Starting ccsd: CCS_ARCHIVE not specified in /etc/sysconfig/gfs [FAILED]

We provide GFS for those that want to use it.  We sorta assume that
people will only install it if they want to use it.  If you are planning
on useing it, then that (along with other settings) need to be set.
It's basically like installing openafs and not telling it what cell to use.
So this I think is a good error, not needing a fix.

> 2a
> First boot: [Y]
> ---------------
> "Freezes up"
>
> 2b
> Interactive mode
> First boot: [N]
> ---------------
> "Passes"

OK, so I don't quite understand this part of the report.
Does this mean that when you boot up in graphical mode, that the
Firstboot freezes up?  And when you boot up in text mode, everything is
fine?  (Basically I'm not positive what you mean by interactive mode)

If so, does X work?
If X works can you do the following as root and see if you get any
errors (with X started)
   mv /etc/sysconfig/firstboot /root/
   /usr/sbin/firstboot

If you do get errors can you send them.

> 3
> NIC: "IS NOT FOUND"
> -------------------
> with Description from FC3-x86_64:
> "Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Yakou Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter"

Yup,
It seems the kernel (both i386 and x86_64) does not like some of those
adaptors.  Some of them work some don't.  The driver from Marvell's
website works, and is easy to install if you need a work around for the
time being.

Is this built into the motherboard?
Also can you send us a
   lspci

> 4
> SND: "IS NOT FOUND"
> -------------------
> with Description from FC3-x86_64:
> "Vendor: nVidia"
> "Model : Corporation nForce3 250Gb AC'97 Audio Controller"
> "Module: Snd-intel8x0"

What is the output when you do a
   redhat-config-soundcard

And, the lspci would be useful on this as well, but if you send if for
section 3, you don't need to resend it.

> Sincerely,
>
> Petros Zimourtopoulos

Thanks
Troy Dawson

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468