SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2009

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:01:50 -0600
Andrea Viciani wrote:
> I should use a device with USB to serial interface by Cypress
> Semiconductor (Vendor ID: 0x04b4 and Product ID: 0x5500) on a computer
> with Scientific Linux 4.6.
>
> The kernel that i use is 2.6.9-67 and the support for the cypress chip
> is only from kernel 2.6.10 with the module "cypress_m8".
>
> Since I can not upgrade the kernel, is it possibile found a driver for
> that chip working under kernel 2.6.9?
>
> This is the cat of /proc/bus/usb/devices:
>
> ... snip...

If the vendor doesn't supply a driver, you might try the following.

One could try grabbing the source from 2.6.10 and extracting the
driver.  It should be in source/drivers/usb/serial/
Probably a .c and .h file, check the makefile for any compiling specifics.
Copy the source files to your 2.6.9-67 source tree, update the Makefile
(and probably the Kconfig).
The compile it like: make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_CYPRESS_M8 SUBDIRS=$PWD modules
I think that would do it, but haven't tried.  Might be some quirks in
there I missed.

Other than that, kernel upgrade or purchasing a supported product might
be the best route.  Personally, I've been using the Digi Edgeport 4m for
my 4 port serial adapters and Easy Sync LTD for my 16 ports.  Both work
fine under SL 4.1 for me.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Mark