SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
Andrew Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:29:40 -0500
Greetings,

Are there known changes in the ext3 partition format or boot sector
format, particularly with grub, between Scientific Linux 3.08(i386)
and 4.4(x86_64)?

Most of my boxes are running SL3.08 (i386), but a few new computers
are set up with SL4.4 (x86_64).  We like to use Norton Ghost to make
complete system image backups.  What we have found is that while it
works fine with SL3.08 machines, the new boxes fail with some sort of
hard drive read errors.  I have tried a few different hard drives to
eliminate a hardware problem, and have even removed the disks and put
them in the older computers where Ghost is known to work, but get the
same errors in the same places.

It looks like something has changed in the drive formatting that
Ghost does not know how to handle.  Perhaps the difference might be
attributed to the i386 / x86_64 difference?

Can some recommend other imaging tools that are similar to Ghost in
function that work with more recent Linux systems?  In a perfect
world, I'd like something that writes a compressed image to bootable
DVD, with software to restore the image to a different drive.  I'd
prefer to avoid tools that store images across a network, but stick
to those that can directly burn to DVD.  Being able to resize
partitions during the restore is a plus.

Thanks,
-Andy

Andrew R. Cook                                            Phone (631) 344-4782
Brookhaven National Laboratory                              FAX (631) 344-5815
Chemistry Department, Bldg 555a, Rm 292                          [log in to unmask]
Upton, NY 11973-5000             http://www.chemistry.bnl.gov/~acook/cook.html