SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Bluejay Adametz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bluejay Adametz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 18:03:14 -0400
> When playing back ogg vorbis files with a gstreamer application like
> rhythmbox or totem, I'm hearing skips or little instants of silence
> scattered through the track. If I use mplayer, the same track plays
> just fine. Other formats (mp3, flac) play just fine in any
> application.

I think I've got a better idea what's going on. I came across this posting:

http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/Alsasink-problem-td3166307.html

which didn't really address my issue but got me thinking about bit
rates. I ran a problem .ogg file through  oggdec and oggenc re-encode
it, then did it again matching the nominal bit rate (160k) of the
original. Well, whaddya know? The re-encoded files played just fine.

I looked at a problem file with ogginfo and it reported:

Warning: sequence number gap in stream 1. Got page 3 when expecting
page 2. Indicates missing data.
Warning: discontinuity in stream (1)
Negative or zero granulepos (0) on vorbis stream outside of headers.
This file was created by a buggy encoder

These files were created on an SL 5.2+updates system using Sound
Juicer. The re-encoded files show no errors.

To further troubleshoot, I ripped this same CD with Sound Juicer on
SL6 to .ogg files. Those files exhibit the skipping problem. These
files also snow no errors with ogginfo.

I turned loose a bash script to oggdec and oggenc all 1209 of my .ogg
files, and that seems to have alleviated the problem, but not quite
entirely. I've identified a couple of albums that seem to still have
the skipping problem. I just re-ripped one of them to flac and then
converted it to ogg vorbis with oggenc. It seems to be playing fine.

It begins to look like there's some sort of issue with how Sound
Juicer is producing .ogg files. Is anyone else in a position to test
this?

[yeah, I know, that's what I get for using a "server" OS for my
multimedia desktop... just thought I'd say it before someone else does
:) :)]

                 - Bluejay Adametz, CFII, A&P, AA-5B N45210

If you continue to do
What you've always done
You will continue to be
What you've always been.

NOTICE: This message, including any attachments, is only for the use of
information, or information otherwise protected from disclosure by law.
hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, dissemination or
distribution of this message or any of its attachments is strictly
prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please contact the
sender immediately by reply email and destroy this message, including all
attachments, and any copies thereof.