SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:20:28 -0500
Adam Timol wrote:
> I'd like to make a dual boot linux/XP machine, given I have just the one
> HDD in my computer, what is the ideal partitioning configuration I
> should make when installing the first OS (winXP)?
>
> set up:4Gigs RAM, 64bit AMD, 80G HDD, Saphire 2600XT
>
> Adam

Hi Adam,
That is a difficult question to ask other people, because it all depends on
what you want, and on your personal preferences.  But, here's my 2 cents worth.

I only give 2Gig for swap.  This is because if you've got something that has
used all 4 Gig of your memeory, and then 2 Gig of swap, you have problems.

I like to just give all my linux disk to /.  I don't make a /home paritition.
That is just a personal preference.  I prefer to save any data off, then wipe
my home area when I do a fresh install.  But I understand reason's for having a
/home partition.

** Personally, I would want a partition that both Windows and Linux can write
to without problem, and then an equal size for both windows and linux.  So,
this is what I would do on my machine.
hda1 - Windows partition - 34 Gig
hda2 - Dos partition - 10 Gig
hda3 - Extended Partition
hda5 - / (linux root partition) - 34 Gig
hda6 - linux swap partition - 2 Gig

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group