SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2009

Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 2009 23:27:25 +0200
Hi All

I have slinux 2.6.28-128 and  I have a problem with dm-crypt.
I have bought a new large usb/firewiredisk (1 TB WD My Book) and I have
4 partitions on it. 279GB*3 + 98 GB.

First I made a large file and using loosetup and cryptsetup I created a
crypted filesystem on the file with size  260 GB, no problem with that.

Then I decided to skip the "loosetup thing" and instead crypt the
partition itself.
But when I should make the filesystem (mkfs.ext2 /dev/mapper/sdg2)  the
box HANG! Not even the mouse pointer moves.

I reboot and tested to do the job in a terminal and not in X and there I
got a message that I was out of memory and X has to be killed. So was
also done but it not seems to help, the job never terminated and I have
to reboot again.

I shrinked the partition to 10GB and there was no problem to format a
crypted partition in that size.

Now I think it must be som problem with this and i can't understand why
I can't use a large partition when i can use a large file at the same
device?

Anyone know something about this?

Regards
Jan