SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:56:11 +0000
I was reminded about this detail by something in the recent
discussions...

We used to install from floppies by putting our ks.cfg file onto
the boot floppy, and using the parameters "ks=floppy dd".

However, when you do this, the system keeps asking you for driver
diskettes until you tell it that's enough, and then - *and this is
the catch* - you have to *remember to put the boot floppy back in*
or else it doesn't read the kickstart file.

This was certainly true for RH9, and also FC1, and at least some
versions of SL3 - whether it will always be so, I don't know.

However, if you *don't* specify the "dd" parameter, the installer will
work out for itself that it wants a driver diskette.  You then feed it
the driver diskette *and it gets right on with the job*, there is no
need to worry about re-inserting the boot floppy - it has already read
the kickstart file.

So, for anyone who is using that installation method, I would
recommend saying "ks=floppy", but omitting the "dd".  Worked for us.