SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2013

From:
Steve Talbott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2013 23:12:46 -0500
Nico --

> Is your home directory NFS mounted, or is it on your local system? And
> did you perchance set "/tmp" to be a separate partition, or one of
> those "virtual" filesystems?

No NFS.  Everything’s on a single disk of my desktop system,
with /tmp part of the root partition: /dev/mapper/vg_deth-lv_root.

> Start by updating to SL 6.4, which includes significant firefox updates.

I’ve hoped to delay going to a later version, but perhaps I’ll have to
consider it.  In any case, wouldn’t it be likely that the firefox and
evince problems have the same source, pointing to a problem that
underlies the particular applications?  (I have a vague memory that some
months ago a third program had a similar problem, but I don’t remember
which program it was.)

Steve
Stephen L. Talbott                               BiologyWorthyofLife.org
Senior Researcher, The Nature Institute:             natureinstitute.org
Mailing address: 20 May Hill Road, Ghent NY 12075      Tel: 518-672-5049