SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2015

From:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2015 19:42:59 -0500
On 01/23/2015 07:31 PM, Steve Gaarder wrote:
> Here's what I'm working on to provide a full complement of TeX goodies on SL7:
>
> I installed the latest TeXlive in a network directory accessible to all my SL7 machines.  I am working on creating an RPM that will install symlinks to all the relevant commands etc, and that RPM's spec file will have a "provides" for everything that the upstream Texlive package provides.  In that way I should be able to install RPMs that depend on TeX (e.g. kile) without triggering an install of the upstream packages.  Any feedback on this?

I'm essentially in your same position.  A few of my users I point to my Fedora box which has 'yum install texlive-scheme-full'.

Where that didn't work well, for two users, I've copied a whole (44 collections out of 45) portable install locally and update it with a cron job every weekend.  I drop to environment files into /etc/profile.d/ so it appears near the front of their PATH:

    ==> /etc/profile.d/texlive.csh <==
    set d=/local/texlive/2014/bin/x86_64-linux

    if ( "${path}" !~ *$d* ) then
        set path = ( $d $path )
    endif

    ==> /etc/profile.d/texlive.sh <==
    d=/local/texlive/2014/bin/x86_64-linux
    [ -d $d ] && pathmunge $d
    unset d

As I have my own local repo of packages, I'm *this close* to just packaging up that whole install (3.3 GB, texmf-dist/doc is 1.51 GB) into a single RPM (must be <4.0GB) and update/install that as needed.  I do this for matlab and a few others, just haven't gotten 'round to it yet.

IMHO, it's insane/wasteful/slows down yum for Fedora to have over 2,700 texlive packages installed.  And after a glance of yum logs, they've never updated just a few packages...