SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:01:38 -0600
manchmal &#10240; wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have an NFS server containing the four SL303 isos.
> I would like to run an NFS install of SL using these isos, booting from the
> first SL303 cd with linux askmethod.
>
> Can anyone tell me what directory layout SL expects, and what path I should
> enter for the install?
> Are any other files are required (such as stage2 image)?
>
> Thanks a lot.

Hi,
Sorry for the delay, I am away, and my network connection has an
annoying problem of taking 30-60 seconds to look up a domain name.

If you already have one machine installed, you can get what I am  going
to send from /usr/share/doc/SL-release-3.0.3/README-i386-en
I am pretty sure it's in the Documentation directory in the ftp site,
but I'm having trouble looking that up right now.

--------------------------------------

DIRECTORY ORGANIZATION

    Scientific Linux is delivered on seven CD-ROMs consisting of
    installation CD-ROMs and source code CD-ROMs.

    The first Installation CD-ROM can be directly booted into the
installation
    on most modern systems, and contains the following directory structure
    (where /mnt/cdrom is the mount point of the CD-ROM):

  /mnt/cdrom
    |----> SL
    |        |----> RPMS         -- binary packages
    |        `----> base         -- information on this release of
Scientific
    |                               Linux used by the installation
    |                               process
    |----> dosutils              -- installation utilities for DOS
    |----> images                -- boot and driver disk images
    |----> isolinux              -- Files used for booting from CD
    |----> README                -- this file
    |----> RELEASE-NOTES         -- the latest information about this
release
    |                               of Scientific Linux
    `----> RPM-GPG-KEY           -- GPG signature for packages from Red Hat

    The remaining Installation CD-ROMs are similar to Installation CD-ROM 1,
    except that only the SL subdirectory is present.

    The directory layout of all Source Code CD-ROMs are as follows:

  /mnt/cdrom
    |----> SRPMS                 -- source packages
    `----> RPM-GPG-KEY           -- GPG signature for packages from Red Hat

    If you are setting up an installation tree for NFS, FTP, or HTTP
    installations, you must copy the RELEASE-NOTES files and all files from
    the SL directory on all Installation CD-ROMs. On Linux and UNIX
    systems, the following process will properly configure the
    /target/directory on your server (repeat for each disc):

     1. Insert CD-ROM

     2. mount /mnt/cdrom

     3. cp -a /mnt/cdrom/SL /target/directory

     4. cp /mnt/cdrom/RELEASE-NOTES* /target/directory (Installation CD 1
        only)

     5. umount /mnt/cdrom

Troy Dawson