SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2011

From:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:07:27 +0000
On 10/03/11 17:28, Wil Irwin wrote:
> Hi-
>

> I have tried multiple times to install the driver using the "GUI" installer
> and the subsequent steps. Installation appears to proceed and I can finish
> with "aticonfig --initial". However, the driver doesn't appear to be
> applied. Scrolling down any webpage or document is very constipated, and
> dragging windows across the screen is also extremely constipated. In
> addition the GUI for Catalyst Control Panel will allow resolution, etc.
> changes, but they are not applied after a re-boot. I have also tried the
> command-prompt based install, with exactly the same results. I'm using the
> 11.2 driver released on 02/15/2011. I should also note the same problem (or
> at least similar) happened with SL5 and Ubuntu 10.x)
>
> The errors shown for fgl_glxgears, fglrxinfo, and glxinfo. uname -r; and the
> xorg.conf file are listed below. I am running SL6 with all updates and
> packages installed.
>
> Any suggestions would be VERY MUCH appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wil

Hi Wil,

Can I suggest you try the ATI driver package for EL6 from elrepo.org:

http://elrepo.org
http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-fglrx

I believe the elrepo.org repository might already be installed under SL6.

Once you have elrepo installed, you can install the ATI drivers with:

yum --enablerepo=elrepo install kmod-fglrx

and if you need 32-bit application support on x86_64 then you should
also install the fglrx-x11-drv-32bit package too.

*Before* you install the elrepo packaged drivers, please uninstall the
previous ATI installer drivers:

sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh

At the moment elrepo.org only has the 10.12 drivers for SL6 but I'll do
my best to get those updated soon.