SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2010

From:
Baowei Liu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Baowei Liu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 2010 10:22:12 -0500
Dear all,

I'm not sure if this is a Nvidia drivers or SL issue. But I hope I can fi
nd
 some help here.... I installed x86_64 SL5.4 and updated to SL5.5 on a
Lenovo Thinkstation D20. I tried different versions of graphic drivers
including the latest driver I can find on nvidia website for my Nvidia
Quadro NVS 290 video card.  For every combination of kernel and graphic
driver, X server always freezes either during the startup or shortly afte
the start. No response of mouse or keyboard. Sometime the color of deskto
collapse. I have to do a hard restart by pressing the power button. This
won't happen when I turn the X off and use the text mode.... I tried to b
oot
with noapic or acpi=off as suggested by some linux users on other forum
s but
it doesn't work. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Baowei Liu