SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2012

From:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2012 08:09:01 +0100
On 22/08/12 07:24, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> Sorry I meant this link:
>
> http://lists.elrepo.org/pipermail/elrepo/2012-August/001359.html
>
> But expect the updated version of kmod-compat-wireless to be out real
> soon now. :)
>
> Akemi

Just released:

http://lists.elrepo.org/pipermail/elrepo/2012-August/001390.html

For those not familiar with the compat-wireless project, they backport
the wireless branch from the latest stable kernel.

They actually backport a few other bits and pieces too like a few
ethernet drivers and some bluetooth bits, and they are in the process of
renaming their project to compat-drivers to better reflect that it's not
just wireless but I'm going off topic now :-)

Anyway, elrepo packages the compat-wireless project as a kmod for el6.3.
The latest version is based on the stable 3.5.1 kernel so backports the
complete wireless stack from that kernel. If your wireless device isn't
natively supported on SL out of the box then this might be a quick and
easy method to see if it's supported by the latest upstream kernel drivers.

If anyone has wireless issues on 6.3 and would like to test this then
we'd really appreciate the feedback (preferably on the elrepo list).

Thanks.