SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2015

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2015 13:30:09 +1100
On 31/01/15 03:44, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hi hansel!
>
>  On 2015.01.29 at 19:30:33 -0500, hansel wrote next:
>
>> If I download the Oracle rpm for 1.8, do the necessary links in
>> /etc/alternatives, remove Open JDK 1.7 and make sure the enviroment
>> variables are correct, do I avoid crashes (or silent errors) -- to the
>> best
>> of more experienced SL users' knowledge, of course?
>>
>> Some of what I do depends on Java version 1.8 andI need to do
>> something. (On
>> other distos, I would just do it (and did with Ubuntu), but SL7 docs
>> carry
>> strong warnings about introducting conflicts.)
>
> You don't have to "remove" OpenJDK 1.7 if there is some dependency
> installed. alternatives system allows multiple java versions to be
> installed at the same time.
>
> The warnings mostly apply to the way Oracle JDK is packaged, if you
> correct the packaging there is no problem with having it on the system,
> and no need to remove openjdk (if something depends on it) too.
>
> For example, one of the Oracle JDK packaging problems is inability to
> install both 32-bit and 64-bit JDK from rpm (official workaround:
> "install from .bin bundle into distinct directories"). Another problem
> is manual steps required for activating browser plugin.
> OpenJDK doesn't suffer from these and other problems.
>
> RHEL offers Oracle JDK 1.7 and 1.8 packages, for example, properly
> repackaged and ready to install. So there is definitely no inherent
> incompatibility.

On a related note, from what I can tell the update to 1.8 has disabled
some SSL connect methods. Sadly, this has locked me out of any Dell
DRAC5 remote console interfaces...

I'm hunting for a way to re-enable the disabled SSL methods, but I'm not
quite sure how to do so...

I'm on Fedora 21 on my desktop - but I believe its the same with any
upgrade to 1.8 - even the Oracle JRE disables these SSL methods :(

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://www.crc.id.au