SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Tom Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:50:05 -0500
Michael Mansour wrote:
> Hi Jarek,
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Michael Mansour wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm kickstarting some proliant dl360's, and as their got 2 embedded nics, each
>>> time they kickstart the process asks which ethernet card to kickstart from,
>>> eth0 or eth1.
>>>
>>> In my kickstart file I define:
>>>
>>> network --device eth0
>>>
>>> and have tried this both with the "--bootproto dhcp" line and with assigning
>>> IP address lines, both methods ask which ethernet card to use.
>>>
>>> I'm kickstarting SL42 machines.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how I tell kickstart to always use eth0?
>> Try adding ksdevice=XXX to your bootup kernel command line, ie:
>>
>> linux ks ksdevice=eth0
>>
>> (or ksdevice=link if only one of NICs is cabled)
>
> Thanks for this, but I should also mention I use PXE boot on the machines to
> boot from an SL305 dhcp server (where I used redhat-config-netboot to setup
> the selection menu of the OSes I want to install on the PXE client).
>
> Is there a way to add "ksdevice" into the redhat-config-netboot software/menu?

Sorry, I haven't personally used this tool, but have faced this issue
with our xCAT cluster.

I assume that your system is using pxelinux for booting the nodes.  You
should be able to find files in a directory named (usually)
/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg these are named by MAC address.  At boot time,
after the DHCP server has supplied the node with an IP address and the
pxe kernel, the pxe code retrieves the config file corresponding to the
node's MAC.  This file says where to find the linux kernel and specifies
kernel options, for instance when booting the kickstart installer one of
these files looks like this one our cluster:

-bash-2.05b$ cat /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/0A0000DD
#install sl304-x86-compute-compute
SERIAL 0 9600
DEFAULT xCAT
LABEL xCAT
KERNEL xcat/sl304/x86/installz
APPEND utf8 root=/dev/ram nofb nomce console=tty1 console=ttyS0,9600
ks=nfs:cap-eth0:/xcatinstaller/scripts/sl304/x86/compute-compute
ksdevice=eth0 initrd=xcat/sl304/x86/install.gz

Anyways, you can see that the ksdevice is specifed in there.  Now, xCAT
produces this file from a template, so it is fairly easy to modify.  You
can choose how to get this option in to the pxelinux.cfg file for your
system.

Hope this helps (or at least isn't completely off-base).

Cheers,
Tom