SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2009

From:
Ed Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2009 16:24:21 -0600
Greetings,

With the release of 5.3, I'm looking to improve on my first mirroring
effort, and to really understand the different trees.  I've studied the
documentation on the website, and searched mail archives, but am still
confused about what's best or what's necessary.  This page,

https://www.scientificlinux.org/download/mirroring/mirror.rsync

suggests just the 5N tree, while the ftp guide,

https://www.scientificlinux.org/download/mirroring/mirror.ftp

shows 5x AND 5rolling being mirrored.

The excludes on the latter page, by the way, I think need to be updated,
they show "errata/obsolete" and "errata/debuginfo" when I think it
should or could be simply "archives" for 5rolling and "archive" for 5x
(yes, they're different!?, and they only contain obsolete and debuginfo,
so no reason to list separately).  I'm also thinking "SRPMS" and "iso"
aren't really necessary for now.

So (using lftp) I started with (for 5rolling):
--delete --exclude archives --exclude SRPMS --exclude iso --exclude
sites/Fermi
and for (5x):
--delete --exclude archive --exclude SRPMS --exclude iso -exclude
sites/Fermi

But there were problems with 5x because the 53/ directory did not exist
and the links were therefore broken.  And if I was excluding archive and
SRPMS anyway, a directory with just symlinks to another didn't seem very
useful.  So now I'm thinking I really only need/want to mirror 53...

Is this the idea: if I mirror 5x, then I don't have to change my
mirroring script when a new update level is released, or is there more
to it than that?

And why mirror 5rolling, is it to have access to the early release rpms
in testing/, and/or early access to update level releases?

thanks for SL!
Ed