SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2007

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 12:59:20 -0800
On Dec 5, 2007 12:35 PM, Paul Johnson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I would not mind doing that if that is the right thing to do.
>
> Perhaps I had misunderstood the meaning of the markers like "el" or
> "sl" in the version.  I had thought that it was supposed to indicate
> the version of linux that the rpm is compatible with.  When I make
> RPMs for Fedora 8, I put the dist as f8.  Or for SL 5, I put sl5.
>
> I think that a marker "sl5" is useful information for users.  So you
> are making me think the dist marker for  me should be something like
> "sl5pj" so people know it is for SL 5 and from me .
> ??
>
> pj

Yes, something like that or .sl5.pj.  rpmforge, for example, has a tag
like .el5.rf.  For one thing, it would be important to be able to tell
the source, but for another, if/when SL comes up with the same release
number as yours for a given package, there will be a conflict. By
using a unique tag, this kind of issue can be avoided.

Akemi