SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
"Bly, MJ (Martin)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bly, MJ (Martin)
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:41:58 +0000
One thing with installing 'everything': you have got to patch everything
too, or keep track of the patches you don't need because you're not
using the package.   Our patch status system has the advantage of
highlighting packages to be patched on systems so that we can think
about the need for them being installed in the first place.  A few show
up now and again, and we can delete them without patching.

We tend to do a base installation of the 'Server' config with tailored
additions/deletions per system type.  Means we can say no when users ask
for browsers on the batch workers ;-).

Martin 'you want what installed?' Bly
RAL Tier1 Systems Team.