SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2007

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:04:36 -0400
Michael Hannon wrote:
> Hi, folks.  If you have any words of wisdom about the relative
> merits of PostgreSQL and MySQL, would you please send them to
> me?
>
> It would be ideal to hear opinions/experiences, etc., that
> relate to the CURRENT versions of these products, but
> ancient prejudices, gossip, etc., are all OK.

In my experience Postgres is a suitable replacement for some backend
enterprise databases like Oracle & Informix and it's pgSQL language is
similar to PL/SQL. It was designed to emulate some of the more advanced
features like large objects, triggers & transactions (though MySQL has
added support for these recently). There is a very tight developer
community around Postgres, and commercial support is available via
PostgreSQL, Inc. http://www.pgsql.com and RedHat. In general, if you
building a Web based (LAMP) database MySQL may be more flexible, but if
you need Enterprise classs dbase features, SQL compatiblilty, HA &
stability Postgres may be the better choice.

PostgreSQL versus MySQL: an unbiased comparison
http://www-css.fnal.gov/dsg/external/freeware/pgsql-vs-mysql.html

PostgreSQL vs. MySQL vs. Commercial Databases: It's All About What You Need
http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743/0/page/table1

Slashdot | PostgreSQL vs. MySQL comparison
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/18/1152230&from=rss

-Art@JAX