SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2015

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 2015 08:58:20 -0400
Use a different window manager to test, or a build of SL 6? Use VNC to
manage the Windows boxes, or use remote desktop to access them instead
of using an add-on tool and see what happens?

In SL 7.x, Gnome at least has been caught up in the whole
NetworkManager/systemd/sprawling octopus of tangled death. I'm
wondering if XFCE is suffering from the same sorts of problems.  I'm
wondering if you've been applying all the SL patches, if your
particular application supports SL 7 or RHEL 7, and if it's gotten
tied to the NetworkManager configurations and is causing chaos there.

If you like, you might try a much, much lighter weight window manager
and see if that helps. I publish compilation tools for the ancient and
very, very stable and robust "vtwm" manager over at
https://github.com/nkadel/vtwm-5.5.x-srpm/. I think you've got a much
better chance of the application not killing your window manager if
you work with that.