SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2013 12:57:49 -0800
On 2013/01/25 12:28, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:19:14PM -0800, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
>>
>> 3) nvidia and elrepo make a mess of the information on which cards are supported by which drivers.
>>

> To elaborate:
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia
>
> The grand total of information on supported video cards is this:
>
> Supported Chipsets
> This driver is the current release and supports the most recent NVIDIA graphics cards (GeForce 8 series GPUs onwards, as well as Quadro series). Users of cards based on older chipsets should use one of the following legacy drivers.
>
> This is not helpful information. GeForce210 cards I bought in December are "recent" or not? Are
> they "8 series and onward" or not? They are not listed in the legacy lists, is it an omission
> or have I dodged a bullet today or not?

To a degree I can sympathize with the elrepo people. Nvidia has screwed up.
After getting disgusted with ATI I abandoned them for Nvidia. Now maybe I
need to figure out how good the support for Intel cards is these days.

But, still, the gentlemen at elrepo could have handled this a little more
gracefully, methinks. It's a shame they're stuck in the middle here. They
seem to be basically very good folks.

{^_^}