SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2005

From:
Perret Yannick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:23:18 +0100
Hi,

the subject is a little bit too strong :o)

Our SL3.03 works fine but we have a specific
problem on some new machines:
the kernel crash with the good old "kernel panic"
in the swap manager on the function "unmap_one_page".
Nothing is visible in the logs.

We have more than 200 machines of this type, and
get roughly one crash each 2 days.

Of course we first suspect a RAM or a disk problem,
but at this time the problem do not occur several times
on the same machine, and deeper diagnostics do not
show any problem one these machines.

So maybe it is a kernel bug that is just visible on
these particular machines (we do not have any problems
on other machines).

Do anyone ears about a such problem ?

These machines are dual-xeon (nocona) with 2Go of RAM,
and two SATA disks.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
--