SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2017

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2017 12:52:24 +0200
On 17/08/17 06:30, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> SL 7.3
> firefox-55.0.2.x64.tar.bz2

tar.bz2?  Is this a downloaded from Mozilla?

> Scientific Linux 7.2 (RHEL clone)
> $ cat /etc/redhat-release: Scientific Linux release 7.3 (Nitrogen)
> uname -r: 3.10.0-693.1.1.el7.x86_64
>
> I just ran an update on Scientific Linux 7.3.  Firefox will
> no longer start, including safe mode or the profile manager.
> Firefox goes straight through to the crash reporter.
>
> Running ff from the command line gives:
>
>         (firefox:19909): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref:
>         assertion 'object->ref_count > 0' failed
>
>         ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child 20002
>
> Any words of wisdom?

If you're trying to run a Firefox binary not built for EL7, that build
may depend on a glib2 library version not being available on the EL7
system.  The GLib-GObject reference indicates ABI incompatibilities, and
that is related to glib2.

You will most likely have far better success by downloading the latest
firefox src.rpm (yumdownloader --source firefox) and download the
Mozilla Firefox 55 source tarball.  Unpack the source RPM, replace the
source tarball with the one from Firefox (including updating
firefox.spec with proper versions and source references) and do a mock
build.  It'll compile for quite some time (beefy hardware helps, with
CPU power, lots of RAM and fast harddrives).  Then try to install the
freshly built x86_64.rpm.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth