SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2013

Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2013 18:31:57 +0900
On 04/02/2013 06:09 PM, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2013, Robert Blair wrote:
>
>> Slightly off topic but related: now that 1) adobe is no longer
>> supporting flash for linux firefox plugins and 2) google is no longer
>> supporting google-chrome on SL, do we have a flash crisis? Is there a
>> plan to deal with this by TUV?
>
> 1) According to
> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html
> Adobe will support non-pepper flash 11.2 for five years from release,
> so we have another four years and it isn't a crisis yet.
>
> 2) For those who haven't heard this, some links:
> http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=95411
> http://www.muktware.com/5203/google-says-red-hat-enterprise-linux-6-obsolete
>

> Seems that the issue is Google want to use C++11 / gcc4.6 which
> is not standard on RHEL6/SL6.
>
> (I'm out of the loop but "developers ... prefer the new C++11 for the
> obvious security reasons" comes as a suprise to me.)

1) No new features, but we can still watch Vimeo and YouTube, is
basically what this means. Aside from video sites is anything
new/important still using Flash? In particular, is there anything we
won't be able to do if we don't get newer flash features?

2) Google's strategic focus is getting everyone onboard with their
cloudish services (incidentally, this is nearly every big web company's
current focus). It is all about capturing bits. A gajillion dollars has
been dumped into cloud marketing, which is why the press gushes over
anything that says "cloud" without providing a definition. RHEL targets
entities that host their own data. The insecurity built into the cloud
model demands Google spread FUD about in-house data services to bolster
their argument -- its the most effective form of market preparation.
They capture data through end-user applications, a business suite that
lives in a web page, a virtual "cloud" drive, email hosting, a
cloud-dependent OS/device, whatever -- its all the same. Once they have
your data you can't stop using their services. It seems they've assessed
they are far enough along now to start assailing the server/services
market directly. They might be correct, or Google might have mistimed
their opening, victims of their own hype.

But I'm mostly interested in #1 up there. Will anyone miss Flash if it
goes? Its mostly just an annoyance and I turn it off outside of video sites.