SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2013

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2013 13:02:15 +0100
On 05. des. 2013 06:41, James Rogers wrote:
> Someone said:
> "P.S. the route command is a legacy command from the 2.2 kernel days
> and should not be used any more."
>
> Did they mean the 'route' command or is the 'ip route' hierarchy now
> depricated?
>
> If we're not supposed to use the ip commands what are we supposed to use
> now?

In the Linux world iproute2 (that is, the 'ip' command) seems to be the
preferred utility these days.  However net-tools (which is ifconfig,
route, netstat, arp, etc, etc) is still shipped in basically all Linux
distros.  And if you also look at FreeBSD, they still cling to net-tools
as the primary tool.  I believe the same is for NetBSD and OpenBSD too.

iproute2 does have quite some advantages on Linux over net-tools, like
better IPv6 configuration, secondary IP addresses without using
interface aliases, slicker tunnel configurations to mention a few.  I
personally prefer the configuration syntaxes in iproute2 over net-tools
these days.  But it's taken me a little while to get used to output of
iproute2.

But I still wouldn't expect net-tools to disappear any time soon.
Net-tools is still shipped in Fedora and other more bleeding edge Linux
distros.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth