SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2015

Date:
Sat, 23 May 2015 12:24:42 -0700
On Fri, 22 May 2015, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Found a nice reference on how to install the 32 bit Acrobat Reader in 64
> bit SL7.  (Haven't found anything else that supports Dynamic XFA forms.)

I piddled around last month to get it working in SL7 - it just needs the
32-bit version of the pangox-compat EPEL rpm to install successfully; so a
quick rpm build would be:

   $ rpm -i /path/to/epel/pangox-compat-0.0.2-2.el7.src.rpm
   $ cd /path/to/your/rpm/working/env
   $ setarch i686 rpmbuild -ba pangox-compat.spec

  ... if you want to avoid enabling a remote repository like the site you
mention below, in Romania.

I still need acroread for some forms-based work, and for digital document
signing at work.  However Acrobat Reader is extremely fragile on SL7 - who
knows what the real compatibility libraries would be for it, since a lot
of commerical RPMs from non-linux companies are very poorly contructed.

It is also of course unpatched since 2013, and should not be used on
untrusted pdf files.

It is important to yum-erase oxygen-gtk and oxygen-gtk2.[i686,x86_64]
since acroread will crash and burn with many dialogs, like printing ..

Also, for digital signing, I was okay provided I did not regenerate
my preferences.  If I nuke them and try to set up again digital signing,
it crashes when verifying the passphrase.

The best option, if you seriously still need it and want to use it
while you still can from a Linux platform, is the keep an SL6 virtual
machine around for that purpose.

I have everything working in it that meets my needs, but your mileage
may vary.   acroread on Linux really is on its last legs.

cheers, etc
  denice

--
deatrich @ triumf.ca, Science/ATLAS         PH: +1 604-222-7665