SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2011 19:30:46 -0700
As a further test of the ability of the SL 6.1 IA-32 standalone bootable
DVD on laptops, I tested it on my laptop, an HP EliteBook 8530p that
boots and runs EL 5.7 from the on-board hard drive with full support for
all hardware except for the biometric fingerprint sensor that I do not
use (including the 802.11 WNIC that I am using to send this email).

Once booted, the WNIC was detected (LED illuminated, and iwlist showed
the status).  I did not attempt a real connection.  Thus, although
NetworkManager is not automatically activated on a laptop, SL 6.1
detected the WNIC.  Thus, if the 802.11 WNIC is not detected, I assume
that SL 6.1 does not have a distributed driver for the hardware, a
reason to consider rejecting acquisition of a candidate laptop.

A point of caution on the HP laptop:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/General/BIOS-hangs-booting-from-opensuse-11-4-64bit-installation-DVD/m-p/4764501/highlight/true#M18984
03-17-2011 07:54 AM

 From the above URL:

The following workaround confirms that this is indeed a problem in the
BIOS and not the DVD:

1) Put the DVD in the tray without closing it
2) Either use the F9 prompt or Multiboot Express to manually select the
boot device
3) Close the tray when the prompt is displayed (not sooner!)
4) Select the DVD for booting

The essential step in the above workaround is that one needs to wait
with closing the DVD tray until the boot prompt is displayed (ie, after
the POST finished). If the DVD tray is closed during the POST, it
consistently locks up the system.

The above was verified on a HP Compaq 6730s with the latest (F.13 BIOS)
installed.

End quote.

My HP laptop presents the same as in the comment above with a slight
difference in the F9 prompt -- I used the upgrade bay to get to the DVD
boot.  I have contacted HP technical support to discover any solution
and will post a solution if there is interest; this seems to be a common
problem with this vendor.  If you have encountered a similar situation,
please let me know.

Yasha Karant