SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 2014 09:29:14 -0800
On 12/14/2014 03:03 AM, jdow wrote:
> On 2014-12-13 09:16, Yasha Karant wrote:
>> On 12/13/2014 09:02 AM, Santu Roy wrote:
>>> wine 1.7 does not work in SL7, how can i run  windows file in SL7
>> Assuming you have a license for MS Windows if one is required and
>> enforced by
>> your nation state (it is in the USA, EU, etc.), a very effective
>> alternative is
>> to load Oracle VirtualBox (licensed for free), load MS Windows under
>> VirtualBox,
>> and then install whatever MS Windows applications you need within MS
>> Windows
>> under VirtualBox.  Unlike Wine that has some issues with executing
>> various MS
>> Windows applications, if the application runs in the release of MS
>> Windows you
>> have, it will run under MS Windows under Virtual Box.
>
> I'd change that last line to "most likely it will run ..."
>
>> Yasha Karant
>
> There are some cheap fun little toys/tools for people who are into
> things RF within the 25MHz through 1800 MHz frequency range called
> DVB-T dongles. The ones with RTL2832U chips can be used as samplers
> for Software Defined Radios.
>
> If you can get one to work on a VirtualBox virtualized machine at its
> usual full sample rate capability, 2.4 Msps, please let me know. In my
> experience the virtualized USB bus is vastly too slow to work.
>
> This holds with Win7 hosts and SL6.6 hosts and VirtualBox as of about
> this time last year when I last played with it.
>
> So I'd say "most likely" without the implied assurance of 100% such as
> your turn of phrase suggests.
>
> {^_-}   Joanne

Agreed -- I was ignoring hardware and/or driver limitations.  There are
cases in which peripheral devices physically will connect to a Linux
machine but for which the VirtualBox peripheral hardware does not exist
or function, and thus will not work.  This is the case for almost all
virtual environments unless the host can release the hardware fully to
the guest (including physical machine buses -- typically not allowed).
With this caveat, all typical software applications for MS Windows do
work under the same MS Windows under VirtualBox -- a very different
situation from Wine or CrossOver.

If the peripheral can be mounted via Linux as a file system component
that is in a shared folder with MS Win under VirtualBox, the item
typically can be read and written.  This may not work for those
situations under which MS Windows requires/demands full direct access
and control.

Yasha